Week 5- Dresser Makeover

Week 5- Dresser Makeover

With some elbow grease and a few great products, I gave this dresser a whole new look. My in-laws were changing out their bedroom furniture and offered us their old furniture. I couldn't pass it up! Really it was the whole inspiration for this main bedroom One Room Challenge.

Just look at where this dresser started! This oak dresser has a veneer top and sides, but some beautiful details. I didn't like the finish so I worked hard to strip it. I started with Citrustrip, covered in plastic wrap and left on over night. The next day I scraped it with a putty knife, then scrubbed it with paint stripper after wash. I let this dry overnight and sanded it the next day.

Testing Stains

I wanted a natural finish for the top. I collected the waxes and finishes in my house and started testing them. From left to right the first square in triple thick polyurethane, second minwax color wash in weathered oak. Third is weathered oak topped with behr white wax. Fourth is behr white wax (alone). Fifth is Milk paint co. soft wax clear. Lastly is walrus oil furniture wax.

In daylight against the paint color

The fifth (Milk Paint co. soft wax clear) definitly maintained the color of the oak the closest. I was looking for something a little darker to work with the bed frame I inherited. That led me with the first and the last. The polyurethane gave a yellow appearance at certain angles so I went with the walrus oil furniture wax.

I used a cloth the rub the wax on then after about 15 minutes buffed it. It hardened to a beautiful finish. The base is painted in Behr dynasty matte in a custom color. I added bun feet to upgrade the base. Hardware is reused and finished in antique gold rub n buff.

I'm moving onto the walls next week! Pinch me because I am a finalist in the Woodgrain Dream Room Glow Up and partnering with them for all the moulding!!

Check out all the other One Room Challenge participants and their projects here!